These $ 1,200 recovery tests were closer to America’s mailboxes. US deaths rose to more than 1,000, and unemployment statistics released Thursday could reflect massive nationwide layoffs as the coronavirus tightened its grip on America.
Late Wednesday, the Senate approved a $ 2 trillion emergency aid proposal, described by Majority Commander Mitch McConnell as “a wartime investment for our nation.” It approved the vote 96. 0. Parliament was going to vote on Friday, after which the package will go to President Donald Trump, who is expected to sign it.
The deal comes after 70,000 confirmed cases in America were closed, and more confirmations are expected as the United States begins testing. According to the Johns Hopkins University Dashboard, there are more than 21,000 deaths worldwide and 500,000 confirmed cases.
Senate passes historic $ 2 trillion recovery package amidst coronavirus
The Senate approved the largest emergency aid package in its modern history, offering $ 2 trillion to help Americans, hospitals and businesses from the effects of the coronavirus. House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer, senior, announced that Parliament will vote on a $ 2 trillion bill on Friday.
“We expect the bill to be approved by a vote,” he said.
The provisions offered in the measure include one-time inspections of $ 1,200 for individuals, $ 367 billion in loans and grants to small businesses, more than $ 130 billion for hospitals and community health centers, and financial support for airlines and other affected industries. In addition, unemployment insurance coverage is extended by increasing the maximum benefit by $ 600 per week for up to four months. In addition, food aid and helping low income households avoid eviction programs would be stepped up. Finance Minister Steve Mnuchin said that inspections could take about three weeks after the final passage, though it could be delayed.
– Christal Hayes, Maureen Groppe and Ledyard King
Certain unemployment benefits can be ugly
The Department of Labor is expected to publish the clearest evidence of the widespread financial damage already caused by the outbreak of the coronavirus.
Markets and economists are bored with the Department of Labor’s Thursday report on unemployment benefits, which is expected to show last week’s layoffs of several million US workers, the highest record of the week.
The pandemic has begun the most recent US economic closure in history. Many restaurants, shops, movie theaters, sports arenas and other gathering places around the country have suddenly closed their doors or adapted the spread of the virus last week.
– Paul Davidson
13 die in 24 hours at a NYC hospital
At least 13 patients died within 24 hours at a hospital in New York, which is currently in the outbreak center in the United States. Elmhurst Hospital, part of the city’s public hospital system, said the 13 deaths corresponded to the number of patients in the intensive care unit at the time, the local media reported.
The deaths occurred Tuesday through Wednesday at Queens Hospital. The city has confirmed more than 20,011 cases leading to 280 deaths. “Elmhurst is in the midst of this crisis,” hospital spokesman Christopher Miller told the New York Post. “It is currently the top priority of the public hospital system.”
– Ryan W. Miller
WHO: The world is “wasting the first opportunity” to curb the outbreak
Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, Director-General of the World Health Organization, tricked world leaders into wasting valuable time in fighting the virus. He called it “Public Enemy # 1” and asked countries to adhere to a number of protocols, including expanding education and hiring health workers.
“The time for action was actually more than a month or two months ago,” he said. “We challenged the first window of opportunity … this is the second window of opportunity that we should not waste and do our best to suppress and control this virus.”
Prince Charles isolates himself with ‘mild symptoms’
The heir to the British throne, Prince Charles, has tested positive for the coronavirus, according to his official royal residence. The statement stated that Prince Charles, 71, had “shown mild symptoms but was otherwise in good health”. His wife, a member of the Principality of Cornwall, is virus free, the test showed.
“In accordance with government and medical advice, the Prince and the Duchess have now been isolated at home in Scotland,” the statement said.
It was not immediately clear whether Charles’s mother, Queen Elizabeth II or her husband Prince Philip had been tested. The Queen has canceled several diary events as a “reasonable precaution” in the event of an outbreak, but last week she continued to hold “audiences” with the public. The British ruler is 93 years old.
– Kim Hjelmgaard
Waffle House closes over 400 locations during the coronavirus crisis
Waffle House, known for its weather due to many natural disasters, announced that it will close 418 restaurants. The chain published a map on social media showing closed restaurants, while another in 1574 southeastern US kept open.
There was also the hashtag “#WaffleHouseIndexRed.” “The fox has its own ‘Waffle House Index’, which is used to assess damage during natural disasters. If the store is closed, it is likely to be in an area with significant damage.
A woman’s “twisted” coronavirus prank wrecks in a Pennsylvania grocery store
A grocery store in northeastern Pennsylvania had to throw away an estimated $ 35,000 worth of products after a woman went through a trade by coughing up what the store’s co-owner called “twisted prank.”
The incident took place on Wednesday at the Gerrity supermarket in the Hanover district, according to a message on the small chain’s Facebook page. Co-owner Joe Fasula said the woman “came into the store and continued to purposely cough on our fresh produce and a small portion of the bakery, meat box and groceries.”
Fasula said the estimated value of the missing food was “well over $ 35,000,” adding that she was seeking to get the woman to examine the coronavirus. The Hanover District Police Department confirmed it is investigating the incident in a Facebook message late Wednesday.
– Jordan Culver
Student loan borrowers get a break
Many student loan borrowers, far from paying, see the federal government as facilitating recovery efforts as part of its response to economic uncertainty as the coronavirus spreads.
The federal government no longer withholds borrowers’ tax returns and social security contributions, the education ministry said. And borrowers whose salary information has been corrected are entitled to full salary. Private collectors working with the government have also been ordered to stop collecting calls and letters.
– Chris Quintana